Mandalay Farms offers a unique internship program for undergraduate/graduate students with an interest in Equine Management, Equine Breeding, Equine Assisted Learning, and Therapeutic Riding programs.
The program gives participants a unique opportunity to work with a variety of equines (miniature horses, BLM Mustangs, Quarter Horses, Welsh Ponies, Appaloosa and miniature donkeys) in their daily care and management, breeding training and use in a variety of therapeutic programs.
Please be aware that this is a physically demanding program. Interns must be physically able to carry out job duties which include: lifting up to 80 pounds; spending extended periods of time walking, standing, bending or moving continuously; and working outdoors in varied temperatures.
– Cleaning of stalls, paddocks and barn area
– Assisting in the daily care of equines to include: feeding, grooming, bathing & turnout
– Assisting vets & farriers as needed
– Care of broodmare, foals, and weanlings (depending on session).
– Daily handling and conditioning of horses utilizing groundwork exercises to prepare them for use in EAL or therapeutic riding program
– Assisting guests with equines for riding lessons, equine assisted learning program and other equine activities
– Assisting with therapeutic programs to include set up/break down, fitting children with helmets, side walking or leading horses, passing out materials, obtaining waivers etc.
– Set up and breakdown of special events and tours
– Media and Marketing to include preparing materials for media, participating in media tours, assisting with photo/video/social media for program marketing materials.
– Other duties as assigned by Barn Manager.
1. Download, print and read the Equine Internship Packet before beginning the online application process.
Please note the application takes approximately 30 minutes to complete and you will need to upload resume and letters of recommendation( should you have them) as well as provide contact information for 3 references (personal, professional and academic).
2. Prior to beginning the online application, please review the session dates and deadlines to determine which dates work best for you. You must be available to work during the entire period listed in the session you are applying for.
3. Upon receipt of your application, your application will be reviewed and a phone or Skype interview will be scheduled. Two Interns will be offered internship positions per session. Any interns who are not selected will be immediately notified so that they can continue applying for other internships.